A random girl's random gymnastics ramblings.

Friday, May 7, 2010

this is not happening. the cruel, slow motion laughter is just a figment of your imagination.

Obviously, the big news of the week is the return of Shawn "Rocky" Johnson.  I gave her the nickname, by the way.  This will be a comeback of epic proportions.


Personally, I am a Shawn fan.  I always have been.  I was lucky enough to see her compete live in 2006.  She was, what, 14 then?  And even at that age, she managed to out-PERFORM almost everyone, junior or senior.  Yes, I said perform.  Why, you ask?  Because gymnastics is a PERFORMANCE

It's hard to define stage presence, and it's even harder to convey that concept to a young girl.  But I don't think anyone ever had to do that with Shawn.  She just got it.

Some jerks in the gymworld are spazzing their faces off.  Yes, Shawn has been out of training for a year and a half.  Yes, she walked out of a handstand in a 5 second video that everyone saw.  No, she is not in competitive shape right now.

People are obviously obsessed with Shawn's body shape.  She's a gymnast, so whatever.  But it makes me sad to see so many people just tear her to shreds, based on her physical appearance.  People need to relax with the whole judgment thing.

Coming from someone who has had two separate knee surgeries, I can personally tell you that you gain weight in like a day.  I'm not some obese monster who has McDonalds hooked up to her veins, either.  I eat well, I'm in decent shape.  And yet I gained weight with both of my surgeries.

So heaven forbid Shawn isn't a fucking waif a few months out from her operation.  And I know we're all just going to DIE if she walks out of a handstand, or doesn't have an Amanar in 6 weeks from now.

I'm excited.  I think it bodes well for the sport.  Regardless of what happens, I'll be proud of her for giving it a shot.  Having regrets sucks worse than dealing with a few lame internet losers.

3 comments:

  1. Polyis TCOandbannedMay 8, 2010 at 12:39 AM

    Hmm...you are OK.

    Shawn will need to diet down. She can take time doing it. But given all the other headwinds she has, something so simple as dieting down needs to be done as a simple easy thing. She was fat before the injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article! Thumbs up!!! Also, I don't think Shawn will ever be affected by those pathetic losers who have nothing better to do with their own lives other than hate a girl they don't even know in person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing. I'm not sure how I lived before I found your blog. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete